Today I was by myself and I did not have to teach a lesson. I was able to just be part of the class and help out where needed. This was great until I realized at dismissal that I teach my 90 mins next week, but that is a different story.
Today I fell in love with a little boy. He has always been on my radar, but I was able to work with him one on one today. His mother speaks English and Spanish fluently and his father and I believe most other adults in his life speak Spanish. He has such a heavy Spanish accent that I have to get close to him to understand what he is saying. I worked with him on patterning today and I watched him during centers. Free choice in centers is not something that happens everyday so I was glad to witness it. My little friend asked for help putting 5 monkeys on his fingers. I watched him set up the puppet center and perform 5 Little Monkeys Swinging on a Tree. As I was watching him I thought of what a great way that was for him to practice his English! I realized that puppets in a classroom would be a great center to have. It is probably one of the lesser used ones, but when it is used (to express emotion through puppets, engage with classmates without direct communication, and even practice English!) it is worthwhile.
The more time I spend in this classroom the stronger my desire is to teach kindergarten. What will I do if I don't get a position teaching this grade? Worse, what if I don't get hired? Ok thinking bad thoughts and going to sign off...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Marissa,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that you were able to have a relaxed day! It is always such a good learning experience when you are not stressed or nervous about teaching a lesson. Don't worry about your 90 minute lesson, it will go great!
I love that you were able to form a connection with one child in your class. I think as teachers this is so important to make a connection with all of your children on different levels.
Marisa -
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome that you made such a connection with one of the children this week! I have really enjoyed the time inside my classroom where I haven't "had" to do anything either. My teacher does a great job getting us involved inside her classroom and working with the children on a one-on-one basis. And it is also much easier to bond and be natural with the children when you know you are not being watched and/or graded!!
And I feel the same way as you do about teaching kindergarten though...I do not know what the likely hood will be that our first job out will be in kindergarten. Fingers crossed right??!!
PS. I just realized I have been spelling your name wrong all semester! I am so sorry!
ReplyDelete