I went back to the classroom to be part of their Thanksgiving Day celebration. There were pilgrims and Native Americans attending :). The students were chosen using popsicle sticks to determine which costume they would wear. In order to celebrate this occasion the teachers called it a sharing snack. Each student was sent home with an item to bring and when the students returned from special area there was a feast set up for them!
I sat with the students and just talked to them. They all loved the attention and were eager to tell me whatever they could think of.
In my last field (and this semester) the one on one special moments with students are the ones that stick out. They are the feel good moments when a sincere compliment is made to a young child or when his face lights up because time is taken out of your hectic day to allow him to share some news. As a teacher it has to be incredibly difficult to have a moment like this with each student on a regular basis. I really hope that if nothing else I remember that connecting with students is just as important as teaching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment