This week I taught my hour lesson. The main chunk of time was devoted to math, specifically teaching patterns. I really wanted to incorporate the use of the Smart board for this lesson. I have not used the Smart board before in front of students and I thought I should start. I searched Smart Exchange and found a presentation that allowed many opportunities for me to include student participation. My cooperating teacher does not often use this piece of technology in her lessons and this made it difficult for me to use it. The placement of the laptop blocked part of the screen and with a table in front of the board, I had to hold a child's hand as they teetered on a small step stool in order to move the objects and make a pattern. It was not as smooth as I would have liked. The students seemed to enjoy it though and I was able to give quite a few students the chance to come up to the board.
After this part of my lesson the students split into groups and had 4 math rotations. I feel like I dropped the ball on this one and if I ever did it again I would have a timer. I became so involved with different groups that a 6 minute rotation turned into 10, a few times. For the most part, and my cooperating teacher agreed, the students were enjoying the centers and learning from them, so it was okay that time got away from us.
My teacher has said many times that since the new system of Waterford (the computer education system) and EDI that her classroom is too structured and opportunities of teachable moments and allowing the students to have freedom in centers has diminished. And if they happen, other things do it. I am afraid of this, new rules and regulations keep influencing the classroom. I feel only the creative and experienced teachers are able to keep centers and rest time for these young students, and I disagree. They are still very young children who should be allowed to stamp patterns for as long as they want.
Another long one, sorry!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Marissa, how cool that you taught your first smartboard lesson. I love the smartboard but definitely in moderation for early childhood. Um please tell me about smart exchange! I have never even heard of this!
ReplyDelete