So, his name is not really Fred but I connected with a boy in my class. He is behind in letter/number recognition and I have worked with him during both time slots. Fred is an adorable little boy, who needs extra help in some areas, loves the block center, thrives during one on one attention, and would benefit from horse blinders to help him focus on one thing at a time :)
We worked together using play dough today to help build his hand muscles. He had to squeeze the play dough (in each hand) twenty times each. After each set of squeezes I would help him form the letters of his name. He was smart enough when he got stuck to stop for a moment and think. Then he asks me, "I can't remember the next part. Can I get my name tag? It has my name on it." What a smart idea! These little moments melt my heart, when a struggling student has a "I've got it moment."
I imagine that these ahhah moments are one of the reasons why Chicora teachers or most teachers actually are so dedicated. I feel that the successful teachers realize that they are the connectors to all of these moments that the children would not have had otherwise.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Was the activity with the play dough something you thought of?? Or was it a teacher suggestion??
ReplyDeleteThat's really awesome what he said though!!! Watching children experience those ahha moments is definitely one of the gifts of being a teacher! And why some people probably teach at all! I have not got to witness one first hand but I know that when I do I will remember that moment for the rest of my life! Something I am definitely looking forward to! :)
I love this story. I love hearning about anything where you get some one on one time with a child because they need it so much and I know as a teacher how impossible this is to give to them. It sounds like you did a wonderful activity with him too! I love that you used the play doh to work his hand muscles, I have never thought of that. I also loved that you loved his idea! It always makes the children feel good when their ideas are acknowledged and praised!
ReplyDelete