Saturday, February 27, 2010

Couldn't plan for this one!

I think the best way to explain this day in the field would be to give an approximate time line from my perspective...
7:45- Arrive and sign in only to find out that Mrs. G cannot come to school because her son is sick.

7:50- Erin is on the phone with Mrs. G determining the plan because she is suppose to teach a language arts lesson.

7:52- We find out that Mrs. G is receiving a new student today who asks me if I am his substitute.

7:55- Erin, the student and I walk to the classroom to find no substitute and a dark, locked classroom. Erin goes the adjoining classroom to let us in. The new student asks if Erin is the substitute.

8:00- The bell rings for the day to begin and there are no students in the class and no substitute to be found. I call Mrs. G and ask if the substitute is suppose to be there?! I feel this worries her so I ensure her that Erin and I have it under control.

8:00- Leaving the slightly confused new student with Erin, I went to get the class from the cafeteria and asked the principal if he knew where the sub was. Found out the sub was around the corner. I took the students back to the class as the sub comes running down the hall.

8:00-9:00- This hour seemed to fly by and crawl at the same time. Erin discovered that a nonexsistant laptop could cause some changes in her lp. As she was working on getting a laptop and then discovering she couldn't get to the sites she needed, the substitute was taking attendance and lunch requests. This process was taking an extremely long time so I figured that someone had to take control of the class and the poor new student! Working from memory and encourgaing nods from Erin, I led the class through their morning to the best of my knowledge.

Time for Walk to Read and the substitute is still slightly confusing me. We tried telling him that Erin and I are there to observe and occasionally teach lessons, but he definitely had a different idea going on. Erin took over walk to read. Not only did she teach her lesson but also controlled and taught the class for the hour! She used Mrs. G's lp to help supplement her plan to take the entire time. Go Erin! During this time I was observing Erin. I found it difficult to use the checklist and write all of my observations. Next time, I will definitely write all of my observations and then go through the ADEPT checklist. Pretty sure I knew this, but forgot.

Another mind boggling discovery of the substitute. WHAT SUBSTITUTE USES HIS BLUETOOTH MULTIPLE TIMES TO ANSWER CALLS?!?! This is particularly disturbing for two reasons. I am not under the impression that they were emergency calls and many teachers/students knew him. This substitute is obviously used frequently and I sincerely hope that he felt like he didn't need to be involved because Erin and I were there and that it is not is normal style inside of a classroom.

Oh what a day. Great job Erin for adapting your lesson to fit the circumstances! To help the new student's confusing chain of events, it was a half day. I hope the new student had a less interesting Thursday and was finally able to meet his great teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment